C-Section Experience

Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 19 days before my due date (Sunday, August 13th), I went to my weekly appointment to check on the progress of baby Parker. Parker was still breech after previous appointments when my OB/GYN insisted that she would turn into a head down position, which is the best position that an unborn baby must be in for a safe vaginal delivery. What surprised me was that my doctor asked me if I wanted to schedule a c-section for the following Friday. I looked at my boyfriend as soon as my doctor said that and he looked equally as surprised as me. A little teary eyed, I smiled and agreed to schedule the c-section because I wanted to meet my baby as soon as possible and I really didn't care how she would get here. My boyfriend and I left my OB/GYN office both excited and in shock. I gave the news to my job and my family that day and then watched as many Youtube videos about c-sections as possible up until d-day. 

On Friday, August 4, 2017 I guess I was so excited for the days festivities that I woke up at 6am although I didn't have to be at the hospital until 9am. My boyfriend and I folded clothes because we didn't have anything else to do but somehow we still managed to get to the hospital late. When we arrived at the hospital we valeted the car and headed up to labor and delivery. (Tip: Valet your car when you go into labor and delivery because most hospitals will validate your parking since you will be there for a few days and of course it's conveient when you leave the hospital with your baby) Once we got up to labor and delivery a nurse walked us to a triage room where I put on a hospital gown and was hooked up to a machine that monitored the baby's heart rate and my contractions. (I didn't have any contractions by the way) They also checked the baby's position again with an ultrasound, gave me an IV, asked me a bunch of questions and had me sign a bunch of documents. They wrapped leg pressure cuffs around my calfs to prevent the blood from clotting during and after the procedure since the lower half of my body would be numb and I would not be able to move my legs at all. I pee'd two or three times during all of this. My parents arrived as well. 

About 20 minutes after 11, another nurse walked me to the delivery room. I was a little nervous. The anesthesiologist explained to me the whole process and proceeded to give me a spinal. The spinal didn't hurt bad however I did flinch. They laid me down on the delivery table and the nurse placed a catheter in my urethra to drain urine during the procedure and until I was able to use the bathroom on my own. Then they arranged a paper curtain at the top of my stomach which prevented me from seeing the procedure. As my doctor began the surgery, they finally brought my boyfriend into the room. They had a spot for him to sit up by my head, so he could not see the procedure either. The anesthesiologist sat on the other side of my head. After a few minutes I felt a bunch of pushing and tugging however this did not hurt. At 11:51am Parker made her grand entrance and before seeing her face I could hear a little squeal. It turned out that the umbilical cord was wrapped around her head four times. The nurse brought her around the curtain for me to see her for a brief second before taking her away to get cleaned up and all that jazz. Her dad watched as the nurses cared for her.  I continued to lay on the table by myself wondering what was going on as my doctor stitched me up. This was the most annoying part of the process because instead of seeing and holding my baby, I continued to lay on the table. My doctor finished after about 10 minutes, told me congratulations and then left. Still without my baby, the nurses lifted me up, placed me on a hospital bed and then wheeled me into a recovery room.

My boyfriend was in the recovery room with my baby and I finally got to hold her.

(Disclaimer: I'm making a separate post about my recovery so stay tuned.)